Monday, August 11, 2008

Gardenia and Jasmin won't bloom

Dear Anne,
I have had my gardenia and jasmine for over 4 years now. When I first planted the plants they had tons of blooms and produced wonderful flowers for about a year. For the past year or two I have been unable to have the plants bloom. I have added miracle grow and cow compost, the things still won't bloom. The plants are growing rapidly and they are very strong, healthy and green. I am really at a loss as to what I should do to help them bloom again. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I live in zone 10, Southwest Florida.

Thanks,
Melissa


Anne's Response:

You may have overfed your gardenias in which case they add lots of new growth but flower sparsely. They like full sun, average moisture and an application of fertilizer just as new growth begins. Omit the fertilizer for a year and see if that improves the bloom.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My gardenia plants have been suffering ALOT this year, i didnt seem to get the blooms i have had in the years past. i shall trim and wait till next year.