Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Can I save my Boxwoods?

Hi Ms. Clapp,

I have 4 boxwoods planted in a circle around the utility boxes in my front yard. They are about 3 feet tall and probably about 7-8 years old. I noticed last week that 2 of them are almost totally brown. I gave up on watering my lawn last month, and I fear that drought has taken its toll on them. My question is, can they be saved or should I go ahead and replace them? I have watered them within the watering guidelines of my town for the past 2 weeks, but it doesn't appear to be having any effect.

Thanks,
Russell

Anne's response:

Some plants are going into an early dormancy and turning brown with the heat and drought. In some cases the plant is permanently damaged or dead but some plants may produce new growth when soil moisture rises and new growth starts to develop. This is a year that we may want to wait and see what happens in the spring. You haven’t lost anything by waiting until next spring to remove a plant that might recover. With the heat and drought I would not replace any plants until next year. There may not be enough water to water any new plants we put in the landscape this fall.

No comments: