Monday, October 1, 2007

"First Light" perennial sunflower

Hi Anne, I cannot seem to find the answer to my question on the internet and was hoping you could help. I purchased "first light" a perennial sunflower from the Farmers Market and a couple of the larger branches broke off. I was wondering can I root the broken branches in water or rooting compound then into potting soil or is there nothing to do but throw them out? Hope you can help. Thanks, Cathy in Apex

Anne's response:

Perennials can be rooted. The better way is to take a cutting from the tip end of the stem, no more than 6 inches long. Use a rooting hormone and vermiculite rooting medium. Keep the plant moist – either by misting or put the cutting under a clear plastic container. The cutting should be kept in a place with good light – but out of direct sun.

No comments: