Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Grass - Bermuda or Zoysia?

Anne - My fescue lawn is beyond hope after this year's drought in Charlotte. Rather than spend the time and money on trying to revive the fescue this fall, I'm ready to kill it off completely and move on to something that's heat and drought tolerant. Two alternatives come to mind - Bermuda and Zoysia. Which do you recommend? I have only limited shade though I have landscaped several large areas that include trees. I don't relish the idea of combating an invasive like Bermuda with weed killer but figure it beats wasting water irrigating fescue. Is there any other alternative lawn grass that I should consider?

Thanks,

G. M., Charlotte, NC

Anne's response:

I have grown Zoysia successfully in the Raleigh area for over 30 years. It does not get watered unless I have applied fertilizer and it is not expected to rain that week. It is not as aggressive as Bermuda so it is easier to maintain borders around flower and planting beds. There are some newer cultivars that are even more shade tolerant than the original Meyer Zoysia.

No comments: