Friday, September 28, 2007

Worried about watering ban - Drought

Hi Anne, I love your very helpful gardening hints! I am new to the south and your expertise is greatly appreciated. My question is regarding the drought and water ban. I want to plant new grass seed this fall and am worried that the watering ban may continue into the fall months when I would need to water the seeds frequently. Would you recommend not planting grass seed this year? Thank you, Carol from Matthews

Anne's response:

I am telling people that unless it looks like we will have rain by mid-October it is better not to renovate a lawn this year. If the seed sprouts and doesn’t get watered on a weekly basis it will not survive. By November the soil temperature is usually too cold for good germination – but if the weather forecast is for an unusually warm November grass might be able to get started.

No comments: