Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Pruning Inkberry bushes

I live in Delaware and we are remodeling a three season room and in the process the contractors will need room to apply siding to the room. I need to cut back the Inkberry bushes to give them room to work. The bushes are about 5 feet high and very straggly (if that's a word). I really have only two choices cut them back or remove them and start over. If I can cut them back , how far can I go? Some told me no more than 3/4 of the Height.

Anne's Response:

Inkberry holly (Ilex glabra) is one of the hardy evergreens that can be drastically pruned. It takes some time for them to recover but a healthy plant can be cut back to 10 inches. In some cases new growth will come from the base of the plant and at times some of the stems that are left will not leaf out, but there will be enough plant remaining to be a presentable plant by the third season.

No comments: