Monday, September 24, 2007

Roses

Hi Anne,

I want to plant a yellow rose bush in our garden, but I'm not sure if I should wait until next spring, or plant it this fall. Also, the spot that I want to plant it in can become a bit wet whenever we get a heavy rain. Is there something I can do to the soil or hole to make it drain a bit better? Thank you for any information.

Regards,

Delila S.

Anne's response:

Roses do not do well in spots that get soggy. If you can dig a deep, wide hole, put about 2 inches of gravel in the bottom and then amend the area with compost when you plant it may help. Roses do well in the South when planted in the fall but if the weather continues dry this fall I would wait until spring. There is usually a better selection of plants in the spring. We have a beautiful “Teasing Georgia” yellow rose in the Raulston Arboretum. It is a large shrub rose with double flowers that has great resistance to Blackspot.

No comments: